Friday, June 3, 2011

Rachel and Alex - star-gazers who fell in love.

While I was living in the US, I was fortunate enough to make some friends who were very much into the amateur stargazing scene. They really kindled an interest in me in the stars, galaxies and amazing cosmological things that surround our world. I only had the chance to go out with Rachel and Alex a few times to actually stargaze but it was a fantastic experience.

Their wedding featured a number of readings and speeches from different family members and friends, but Alex worked with me to put together the following poem for Rachel.




A Hundred Facets

A hundred facets of fiery brilliance
effortless to your being

Like glittering stardust,
diamonds borne on solar winds
reflecting the light of creation
as they tumble through galaxies innumerable

With but a spark of the light inside you
a prismatic spray of a colour is born
a rolling wave washing over my eyes
bathing me in myriad images
each a reflection, a refraction
a moment of your innermost being

I am taken like driftwood
floating on the sea of your light
until the edge is found

The fall is willing.
Into the brilliant splendour
your heart of fire offers up




The galactic theme speaks for itself here I think, but there is a second focus. Both Rachel and Alex picked the same style of engagement ring featuring a Heart of Fire diamond, which has a hundred facets rather than the usual sixty six cut into other diamonds. Alex and I decided that it couldn't be left out and I think it tied the piece together nicely.


Please feel free to contact me about custom wedding readings via email at customweddingreadings@gmail.com or leave your contact information in the comments section of any of my posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment